I live in a campus called Harcourt Hill which has suffered severe under-representation within the student union. Tonight I have worked with a lady called Hannah and done some maths.

Harcourt represents 15% of (max)2600 students that live on campus. That is four whole weeks (28 days) out of twenty seven of contribution that we deserve from all societies within the university.

Why do I point this out? Because while speaking with a Rock Society representative I was laughed at when I asked what events we would be getting at Harcourt Hill. My first reaction was to simply create events that mocked the society (which I have paid money to join) but I now intened to approach them, as well as other societies, demanding representation. Lets hope this doesn't become a mockery in what is supposed to be a democratic organisation.

posted by SkinOfStars @ 1:47 am,

1 Comments:

At October 02, 2006 5:26 pm, Blogger adem said...

As you may know, I work at the Broadstairs Campus of Canterbury Christ Church, and this campus too had a lack of representation from the SU.

It's getting better but it is hard work. First of all the SU needs to dedicate someone to your campus, and secondly there needs to be willing students, like yourself, who are willing to put extra effort in.

Plenty of people are ingrained with the attitute that the Rock Society rep had, but little by little things can change.

If the societies are rubbish, then why not set up your own?? It's pretty easy and you could be eligible for some funding. Why not set up your own Harcourt Live Music Society?? If you are willing to put the effort in, which I know you are, then it can be very fulfilling.

I know you shouldn't have to be the on eto work your ass off to set something up for fellow students, whe nthe SU should be doing the hard-work, but sometimes it's got to be done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home