I've been having problems with the painfully slow internet service we have here in halls. I've been trying to download a personal copy of delphi from the manufacturers (free for educational), but my download speed is the sort of rate I haven't seen since 28k dial-up! The main problem with this is that it has a tendancy to pause for long periods and then timeout. Thats not something you want on a 50mb file thats halfway there. So being the very frustrated bunny I am I decide to grab it on a torrent. Though this is normally a very effective method for picking up large files it makes little difference here. Well, there is one difference I found it makes. It gets you banned from the halls network. I had to remove all p2p software I had on my machine before they would let me back on! I was only doing it for educational purposes!

Seems I'm not the only person who has been having problems though. My neighbour has found that with the continual connection his computer is turning itself back on in the middle of the night. I said I wasn't sure why but I found out today from one of my lecturers. It seems microsoft will remotely switch your computer back on to gather information in its own time. The cheek of it!

posted by SkinOfStars @ 4:00 pm,

2 Comments:

At September 29, 2006 3:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at my uni just using linux was enuff to get eyebrows raised. it was crazy man.

fuck the man

 
At September 29, 2006 4:48 pm, Blogger SkinOfStars said...

well, i'll be using linux next semester as i'm doing a module in C & Unix. ahh well, i'm sure it will all be fine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home