I remember how low I felt during the 2004 American elections. I knew Bush was going to win and because world affairs are so tied up in American policy, I knew the dark times were going to continue. Now I can't help but feel good at seeing the loss of The House to the Democrats and (as I write this) the Senate hanging in the balance with it also likely to go to the left, unless of course the Republicans can manage another of their legal comebacks.

Even better though is the recent announcement that Donald Rumsfeld, the warmonger himself, is going to stand down in face of the defeats. So not only is Bush going to be a lame duck with some seriously clipped wings but perhaps the guiltiest party in such fiascos as the Abu Ghraib cover-ups is out, out, out! I think I can see some light at the end of this dark tunnel.

I think I'll also mention that others that I have spoken to tend not to know the difference between the two parties, or simply can't remember who's which. I came up with this simple mnemonic:
Democrats - Greece created democracies where they discussed the meaning of life and were generally quite liberal, though the boys had a tendency to sleep with other boys.
Republican - Rome created the republic where they beat the rest of the world into submission and perhaps built Europe's 'greatest' empire, suffered from bit of religious militancy.

Labels: , ,

posted by SkinOfStars @ 7:37 pm,

2 Comments:

At November 09, 2006 4:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes but is there any real difference between the Republicans and the Democrats? Or New Labour and New Tory for that matter?

People have got their bread (McDonalds) and circuses (X Factor), plus a Mondeo and a luxury apartment, so why bother about politics! Those pesky Romans have won after all!

 
At November 10, 2006 3:20 am, Blogger SkinOfStars said...

Lefties are always waiting in the wing ready for the pounce, waiting for the right to drop their guard. Though in this situation it seems the left had to look right just to sneak one in the centre.... Yep, that sounded pretty convoluted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home