A sweet musical find

The nice thing about doing oonagi is that whenever gigs come up and I'm putting together the info I have to listen to all the music. There is so much music around now that is so accessible that it's difficult to know where to start. Or infact, you may just get total music apathy and refuse to listen to anything but your Elvis collection.

So in putting stuff together this week I came across Peggy Sue & The Pirates that are going to be playing the Lido this week. I know everyone is pirate mad at the moment, so it was only going to be a matter of time till a name like this came along. The music though is stripped down cool. A couple of girls doing their vocal thing with some rhythmic guitar backing. I like it lots. Music doesn't have to be complicated to be cool, musicians don't have to rip the fastest solo on the planet or create the most obscure song structure to be cool ("I love that timing drop from 13/9 to 7/8, maaaan"). Check out PS&thePirates to see what I mean.

If your looking for new music in your own vein, then there is a great site called pandora.com. This is party of the Musical Genome Project. You just enter and artist or a song and it'll play you stuff from other bands that you may like. It's very good, though it does only let you try a limited number of searches (or stations, as they call it) before you have to sign up. Sign up is free but you must be located in the US. A quick search through wikipedia for US zip codes is a good work around for this. I think I located myself somewhere in Alaska.

Happy hunting.

posted by SkinOfStars @ 4:44 pm,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home