Blogger Comments

Geeks aren't dumb and on blogger they have found a very useful tool to improve their own sites Search Engine Optimization (SEO). The tool is that many bloggers, like myself, allow un-verified anonymous comments. All the geeks have to do is write a little bot that goes round to all these sites posting comments like 'your blog is the coolest I've every seen >>'. The little angle brackets look nice and innocuous don't they? They are links to a site. Maybe the site the link points to has malicious script on it (the ones I've included just go to oonagi, so it's safe). More likely it's just a link. Here is where the SEO comes in. The more people that link to your site, the higher it ranks on search engines. So what are we supposed to do? The last thing I and many others want to do is make people log in to comment. Blogger does provide you with a tool of your own though. Word verification on comments. A funny little graphic where you just have to re-type the words. I'm afraid that's what I've had to do. It's an annoyance, but alas a necessary one.

posted by SkinOfStars @ 5:38 pm,

4 Comments:

At May 21, 2006 6:04 pm, Blogger Richard Eastcliff said...

Good tip. Plus, if you're in need of a bit of company, some American fellow will read numbers to you when you click the disabled sign!

 
At May 21, 2006 6:17 pm, Blogger SkinOfStars said...

I got the numbers read to me by an american man and an american woman, taking it in turns to read them out. Thats nice.

 
At May 21, 2006 10:18 pm, Blogger Richard Eastcliff said...

Hey that's cool! Er, I mean jolly good.

 
At May 21, 2006 10:49 pm, Blogger SkinOfStars said...

Watch it with that language, you'll find yourself hanging out on myspace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home