A bit of giffing

Hmm, wonder if you can use the word gif as an adjective... Anyway, I spent a bit of time today making a simple animation inspired by such things as Noah's photo everyday for 6 years. Thought it would be nice to do a really simple version with photos I've taken of myself over the past 3 years. You can see the result in my avatar, but I'll reproduce it here in case I change it:

giffage

It's not great but it is pretty easy to do. First things first is to get some appropriate software to put this together. In my case I decided to use the GIMP with the GAP extension (erm, I'm just gonna let you find that). I'm sure there are far more specifically tailored programs but I know how to use the GIMP so it saved me spending time having to get familiar with a new UI.

Step two would be to get a tutorial, which luckily for me I have already read and used before on other projects but will be useful for any of you out there who are thinking a little bit of animation might also be a little bit of fun.

Obviously my attempt at animation isn't exactly going to get me a job with Disney just yet but it is an interesting little experiment. I'll also say that I had far better luck when I tried the same thing thing with some photos of my sister. Whereas I have a tendency to only take the odd photo of myself for avatars and the like and make do with the first one or two, my sister is more compelled to take many and then decide which one to use after. So lets string them together and see what we get:



Looks pretty neat eh? Though it may be worth pointing out that she'll probably kill me for posting this.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by SkinOfStars @ 1:38 am,

2 Comments:

At June 25, 2007 9:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gifs are doing my head in!!! ARRGGHHH!!! It's like a trip back to a nineties geocities site! ;)

I saw the Noah thing a while back and it's pretty amazing.

Only 6 years left for you to get yours done!

 
At June 25, 2007 5:43 pm, Blogger SkinOfStars said...

hahaha, I was thinking that my next step is a tiled background ;)

I'll admit that they are pretty annoying, hence I said that I may change it, but it was a bit of fun and occupied me for all of 20 mins on a Sunday. Infact, it probably took longer to write the post :)

Yeah, the Noah thing is very cool and has been around a while, I couldn't be bothered to try and find where I saw it first, though its worth noting that that there is a better quality video out there. It was on some other video sharing site. Personally though I like the English Bloke version, its alot funnier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home