os freefall

Its got to that time of the month where I have to reinstall my operating system. I can't blame the system, it is each and every time, without fail, my fault. I can't help but keep tinkering and playing with them till they fail on me. I remember when I first started playing with the things I would have to reinstall before I'd even finished the first install! At least now here are often months between.

I thought this time I might get out of my comfort zone for a bit. I decided to install the new fedora 8. I will be totally honest now and admit that it lasted on my machine for two days before I switched back to ubuntu. The problem wasn't with fedora per say, I could see almost immediately that this was a far more stable operating system with many of the features I like built in straight out the box. It clearly benefits from the good breeding of Red Hat. The problem I have is that I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and fedora is clearly built for people who have some idea what they are doing. From what I found there seemed to be very little documentation for novices and to be honest I don't have the time for that sort of learning curve.

So here is what seems to have happened. I have acquired the same disinterest in learning a new operating system that my Windows using counterparts have always had. I hope this doesn't stick.

Labels: , , ,

posted by SkinOfStars @ 11:23 pm,

2 Comments:

At January 09, 2008 12:47 pm, Blogger Tony Flaig said...

Lets get this right you have to reinstall your operating system every month.

Blimey why not face facts your machine is being corrupted with all these home grown programs you keep using.

To top it all, your now informing us the stuffing hats into the bloody thing GET HELP B4 ITS TOO LATE

 
At January 19, 2008 8:35 pm, Blogger SkinOfStars said...

On some of my computers I regularly install new systems. I either break them (because I REALLY mess around with them) or I become bored and want something new. On others, like the machine my girlfriend uses, I have a stable version which remains pretty static.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home